25 Must Know Moving Tips
Follow these guidelines. They'll go a long way to ensuring a safe and satisfying moving experience.
- Pack the stuff you use least first.
- Use smaller boxes for heavier items, larger boxes for lighter items.
- void used boxes do to loss of strength, bacteria, and possible bed bugs.
- Fragile Items should always be labeled and packed tight with bubble wrap, packing peanuts or newsprint.
- Pack some luggage for each family member and include all the necessary items needed for the first couple of days once you've just moved into your new place
- Transfer all extremely valuable items yourself (Jewelry).
- Use a generous amount of tape to ensure boxes are sealed and won't reopen during the moving process. Alternatively, use cable ties to secure plastic Major Boxes.
- Clean and dust your floors and furniture before the movers arrive to avoid any discomfort.
- Disassemble your bedroom pieces; to save some money with movers.
- Create an easy pathway for the movers to get to all your square shaped furniture pieces, boxes and mattresses. Movers normally start with these items.
- Do your research when selecting a moving company. View our section on "Working With A Mover: What Everyone Should Know", to get great insight on how this is done.
- Label all boxes. This will make sure that each box is brought into the proper room at your new residence.
- Take a picture of the back of your electronics setup. This will allow you to easily put the wires back together at your new residence.
- Do not water your plants the night before your movers arrive. This makes the pots extremely heavy for the movers.
- Empty all your clothes out of your dressers. The heavier the piece, the more risk of damage and/or injury.
- Measure your large furniture items before the movers arrive. It is very likely that your furniture was bought unassembled and assembled in your home. This will avoid any surprises when the movers tell you that something needs to be taken apart and will take extra time and cost extra money.
- Make sure that lids are sealed on all items that contain liquids. A spill in the moving truck is the last thing that you want to happen. The clean up process adds more time a more money.
- Be polite and observant of your movers.
- Make sure to confirm your date with the moving company a few days before your move.
- Self-movers should always confirm their moving truck reservations.
- Self-movers should do their research on how to pack a moving truck. See our article on "7 Easy Steps To Pack a Moving Truck".
- Make sure all the necessary people and organizations know about your address change. In our Planning Tools & Guides section there is a "Who To Notify" checklist and a Change of address contact list.
- If your movers are doing a good job, reward them with lunch and/or a tip.
- If moving appliances yourself, make sure to rent all necessary equipment from Major Move. Your body will thank you. (appliance dolly, blankets, tape)
- Movers will not transfer any flammable or toxic items. (see our list of items)
BUILD MY PACKAGE